Main Article Content
There are many interventions introduced by Open University Malaysia in supporting its learners to successfully complete the programme that they have enrolled in. An example is the use of personality traits dimensions to predict learners’ Lifelong Learning skills dimension. The research was carried out using a survey instrument which measures 34 items within six dimensions including the five dimensions based on the Big Five Personality Traits and the Lifelong Learning skills. The sample for this study was taken from the population of first semester learners during the September 2019 semester. All new learners are enrolled in one of the compulsory courses OUMH1603: Learning Skills for 21st Century. Data was collected online using the Survey Monkey platform within a-month duration. 411 out of 2546 (16.14%) responses were obtained. The data analysis was carried out based on descriptive statistics and structural equation modeling by using SPSS and AMOS software. The findings indicate that all dimensions have high Cronbach’s Alpha scores (more than 0.8) which means that all dimensions are reliable. In addition, Openness to Experience, Conscientiousness, Agreeableness, and Emotional Stability showed positive correlations with the Lifelong Learning skills dimension. The instrument used in this study is able to support system and propose strategies for improving learners’ Lifelong Learning skills.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The author declares that the submitted to Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society (Je-LKS) is original and that is has neither been published previously nor is currently being considered for publication elsewhere.
The author agrees that SIe-L (Italian Society of e-Learning) has the right to publish the material sent for inclusion in the journal Je-LKS.
The author agree that articles may be published in digital format (on the Internet or on any digital support and media) and in printed format, including future re-editions, in any language and in any license including proprietary licenses, creative commons license or open access license. SIe-L may also use parts of the work to advertise and promote the publication.
The author declares s/he has all the necessary rights to authorize the editor and SIe-L to publish the work.
The author assures that the publication of the work in no way infringes the rights of third parties, nor violates any penal norms and absolves SIe-L from all damages and costs which may result from publication.
The author declares further s/he has received written permission without limits of time, territory, or language from the rights holders for the free use of all images and parts of works still covered by copyright, without any cost or expenses to SIe-L.
For all the information please check the Ethical Code of Je-LKS, available at http://www.je-lks.org/index.php/ethical-code
- Awang, Z. (2012). Structural Equation Modelling using AMOS Graphic. Shah Alam: Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM Press).
- Croft, N., Dalton, A., and Grant, M. (2010). Overcoming Isolation in Distance Learning: Building a Learning Community through Time and Space. Journal for Education in the Built Environment, 5:1, 27-64, https://doi.org/10.11120/jebe.2010.05010027
- Cubel, M., Nuevo-Chiquero, A., Sanchez-Pages, S., and Vidal-Fernandez, M. (2016). Do Personality Traits Affect Productivity? Evidence from the Laboratory. The Economic Journal, 126(592), 654–681. http://www.jstor.org/stable/24738158
- Frydenberg, J. (2007). Persistence in University Continuing Education Online Classes. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 8(3).
- Komarraju, M., Steven J. Karau, S. J., Schmeck, R. R., and Avdic, A, (2011). The Big Five personality traits, learning styles, and academic achievement. Personality and Individual Differences, 51(4), 472-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2011.04.019.
- Lounsbury, J.W., Saudargas, R.A., Gibson, and Leong F.T. (2005). An Investigation of Broad and Narrow Personality Traits in Relation to General and Domain-Specific Life Satisfaction of College Students. Research in Higher Education, 46(6), 707-729. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11162-004-4140-6
- Leutner, F., Ahmetoglu, G., Akhtar, R., and Chamorro-Premusiz, T. (2014). The relationship between the entrepreneurial personality and the Big Five personality traits. Personality and Individual Differences, 63, 58-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2014.01.042
- Martin, Y. R., and Kuboja, J. M. (2022). Effect of Guidance and Counseling on Students’ Emotional Stability: A Case of Higher Learning Institutions in Arusha, Tanzania. East African Journal of Education and Social Sciences, 3(1), 94-101, https://doi.org/10.46606/eajess2022v03i01.0151
- Malaysia Qualification Agency (2010). Malaysian Qualification Framework. MQA: Kuala Lumpur.
- McCrae, R.R., and Costa, P.T. (1987). Validation of the Five-Factor Model of Personality Across Instruments and Observers. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 52(1), 81-90.
- McCrae, R.R., and Costa, P.T. (1992). Four Ways Five Factors are Basic. Personality and Individual Differences, 13(6), 653-665.
- McCrae, R.R., and Costa, P.T. (2004). A Contemplated Revision of the NEO Five-Factor Inventory. Pergamon: Personality and Individual Differences.
- Mourtos, N. J., (2003). Defining, Teaching and Assessing Lifelong Learning Skills. Paper presented at 33rd ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.501.8223&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Niksevic, A. V., Marino, C., Kolubinski, D. C., Leach, D., Spada, M. M. (2021). Modelling the contribution of the Big Five personality traits, health anxiety, and COVID-19 psychological distress to generalised anxiety and depressive symptoms during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Affective Disorders, 279, 578-584.
- O’Connor, N. (1951). Neuroticism and Emotional Instability in High-Grade Male Defectives. J.Neurol.Neurosurg. Psychiat., 14, 226-230. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC499522/pdf/jnnpsyc00311-0074.pdf
- Riggio, R. E. & Reichard, R. J. (2008). The emotional and social intelligences of effective leadership: an emotional and social skills approach. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 23(2). 169-185.
- Rothmann, S., & Coetzer, E. (2003). The Big Five Personality Dimensions and Job Performance. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology, 29(1). doi:10.4102/sajip.v29i1.88
- Solmaz, D. Y. (2017). Relationship between Lifelong Learning Levels and Information Literacy Skills in Teacher Candidates. Universal Journal of Educational Research 5(6), 939-946, https://doi.org/10.13189/ujer.2017.05060
- T Subramaniam, T., Suhaimi, N. A. D., Latif , L. A., Abu Kassim, Z., and Fadzil , M. (2019). MOOCs Readiness: The Scenario in Malaysia. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 20(3). https://doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v20i3.3913