Main Article Content
Initiatives such as the Open Educational Resources (OER) World Map provide a systematic means towards recording activities, documents and individuals related to open education (OE). In this article – which is part of a larger effort to evaluate and extend this World Map – the entries on Brazil and South Africa were critically evaluated in terms of the existing scholarship on open education from these two countries. Clear trends were evident from the World Map and the usefulness of both the methodology and platform to inform gaps and challenges within and across countries in terms of open education, providing inputs that can aid in the design of strategies and international cooperation.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The author declares that the submitted to Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society (Je-LKS) is original and that is has neither been published previously nor is currently being considered for publication elsewhere.
The author agrees that SIe-L (Italian Society of e-Learning) has the right to publish the material sent for inclusion in the journal Je-LKS.
The author agree that articles may be published in digital format (on the Internet or on any digital support and media) and in printed format, including future re-editions, in any language and in any license including proprietary licenses, creative commons license or open access license. SIe-L may also use parts of the work to advertise and promote the publication.
The author declares s/he has all the necessary rights to authorize the editor and SIe-L to publish the work.
The author assures that the publication of the work in no way infringes the rights of third parties, nor violates any penal norms and absolves SIe-L from all damages and costs which may result from publication.
The author declares further s/he has received written permission without limits of time, territory, or language from the rights holders for the free use of all images and parts of works still covered by copyright, without any cost or expenses to SIe-L.
For all the information please check the Ethical Code of Je-LKS, available at http://www.je-lks.org/index.php/ethical-code
- Almeida M. E. B., Valente J. A. (2016), Políticas de tecnologia na educação brasileira: Histórico, lições aprendidas e recomendações (No. 4), CIEB, from https://cieb.net.br/cieb-estudos-4-politicas-de-tecnologia-na-educacao-brasileira-historico-licoes-aprendidas-e-recomendacoes/
- Amiel, T., & Soares, T. C. (2016). Identifying Tensions in the Use of Open Licenses in OER Repositories. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 17(3). https://doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v17i3.2426
- Amiel, T., Gonsales, P., & Sebriam, D. (2018). Recursos Educacionais Abertos no Brasil: 10 anos de ativismo. EmRede, 5(2), 246–258. https://www.aunirede.org.br/revista/index.php/emrede/article/view/346/326
- Amiel, T., & Soares, T. C. (2020). Advancing Open Education Policy in Brazilian Higher Education. In K. Zhang, C. J. Bonk, T. C. Reeves, & T. H. Reynolds (Eds.), MOOCs and Open Education in the Global South: Challenges, Successes, and Opportunities (pp. 229–235). Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/MOOCs-and-Open-Education-in-the-Global-South-Challenges-Successes-and/Zhang-Bonk-Reeves-Reynolds/p/book/9780367025779#eresources
- Arinto P., Hodgkinson-Williams C., King T., Cartmill T., Willmers M. (2017), Research on open educational resources for development in the Global South, Project landscape.
- Cape Town Open Education Declaration (2007), from https://www.capetowndeclaration.org/
- Department of Basic Education (DBE) (2020), 2019 School Realities, from https://www.education.gov.za/Portals/0/Documents/Reports/School%20Realities%202019%20Final%20.pdf
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) (2014), White paper for post-school education and training: Building an expanded, effective and integrated post-school system, from https://www.gov.za/documents/white-paper-post-school-education-and-training-building-expanded-effective-and-integrated
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) (2019), Post-school Education and Training Monitor: Macro-indicator Trends, Pretoria, DHET, from https://www.dhet.gov.za/SiteAssets/Post-School%20Education%20and%20Training%20Monitor%20Report_March%202019.pdf
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) (2020), Statistics on Post-School Education and Training in South Africa: 2018, DHET, Pretoria, from https://www.dhet.gov.za/SiteAssets/Statistics%20on%20Post-School%20Education%20and%20Training%20in%20South%20Africa%2c%202018.pdf
- Department of Telecommunications and Postal Services (DTPS) (2016), National Integrated ICT Policy White Paper, Government Gazette, 176(40325), from https://www.gov.za/af/documents/electronic-communications-act-national-integrated-ict-policy-white-paper-3-oct-2016-0000
- Duran, M. R. da C., Amiel, T., & Costa, C. J. da. (2018). Utopias e distopias da tecnologia na educação a distância e aberta. Unicamp/UFF. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1328232
- Glennie J., Harley K., Butcher N. (2012), Introduction: Discourses in the development of OER practice and policy, In J. Glennie, K. Harley, N. Butcher, T. van Wyk (Eds.), Open educational resources and change in higher education: Reflections from practice (pp. 1-12). COL.
- Goodier, S. (2017), Tracking the money for open educational resources in South African basic education: What we don't know, The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 18(4), https://doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v18i4.2990
- Hodgkinson-Williams C., Paskevicius M., Cox G., Shaikh S., Czerniewicz L., Lee-Pan S. (2013), 365 Days of Openness: The Emergence of OER at the University of Cape Town, In R. McGreal, W. Kinuthia, S. Marshall (Eds.), Open Educational Resources: Innovation, Research and Practice (pp. 33-46), Commonwealth of Learning.
- INEP (2020), Censo da educação superior 2019: Divulgação de resultados [Apresentação], INEP, from https://download.inep.gov.br/educacao_superior/censo_superior/documentos/2020/Apresentacao_Censo_da_Educacao_Superior_2019.pdf
- INEP (2021), Censo escolar 2020: Divulgação de resultados [Apresentação], INEP, from https://download.inep.gov.br/censo_escolar/resultados/2020/apresentacao_coletiva.pdf
- Iiyoshi T., Kumar M. S. V. (2008), Introduction, In T. Iiyoshi & M. S. V. Kumar (Eds.), Opening up education, The MIT Press.
- Lambert S. (2019), The Siyavula case: Digital, collaborative text-book authoring to address educational disadvantage and resource shortage in South African schools. International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education, 11(3), 279-290, from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1206172.pdf.
- Mays T. (2020), Open Educational Resources in South Africa, In R. Huang, D. Liu, A. Tlili, Y. Gao, R. Koper (Eds.), Current State of Open Educational Resources in the "Belt and Road" Countries (pp. 195–212), Springer Singapore, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-3040-1_11
- Merriam, S.B., Tisdell, E.J. (2015), Qualitative research: A guide to design and implementation. John Wiley & Sons.
- Miao F., Mishra S., Orr D., Janssen B. (2019). Guidelines on the development of open educational resources policies. UNESCO, Commonwealth of Learning (COL), from http://oasis.col.org/handle/11599/3455
- OER World Map (2021), Retrieved January 27th 2021 from https://oerworldmap.org/
- Olivier, J. (2020), Self-directed open educational practices for a decolonized South African curriculum: a process of localization for learning, Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society, 16(4), 20-28. https://doi.org/10.20368/1971-8829/1135330
- Rossini, C. (2010). Green-Paper: The state and challenges of OER in Brazil: From readers to writers? (p. 75). Harvard University. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1549922
- Soares, T., & Amiel, T. (2017). Recursos educacionais na Universidade Aberta do Brasil: Perspectivas e práticas. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1065516
- Soares T. C., Pelerino L., Puerta Y., Mesquita R. D. C. D., Bartoli A. B., Núñez S. Z. (2021), Creando redes de educación abierta: Apuntes sobre una experiencia de mapeo de REA en América Latina. Publicaciones de la Asociación Argentina de Humanidades Digitales (PublicAAHD), from https://www.aacademica.org/noviembrehd/28
- Tibane, E., Mokoena, M., Honwane, M. (Eds.). (2019). South Africa Yearbook 2018/19. Pretoria: GCIS. Retrieved September 8, 2020 from https://www.gcis.gov.za/south-africa-yearbook-201819
- UNESCO (2019), Recommendation on Open Educational Resources, from https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000373755