Main Article Content
Digital challenges tied to the multifaceted landscape of citizenship are the focus of a workshop developed within an instructional technology course that took place in the academic year 2019-2020 in the degree course in Education Science (curriculum socio-pedagogical professional educator) at University of Macerata (Italy). The experience is framed in a multiple-case study where the case here described is intended as the last unit of analysis. The aim of the qualitative study is to check how a hands-on workshop on digital citizenship, which involved students in a participatory video project, affected their reflection about (1) the theme and the effectiveness of media formats used for the educational design and communication; (2) the collaborative attitudes that were involved for the creation of a video artefact designed as an educational resource.
The data were collected through different tools (reflection papers, questionnaires and interviews) and were coded with a content analysis approach to be, then, triangulated with the artefacts created by the 31 students of the sample who worked in small groups.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The author declares that the submitted to Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society (Je-LKS) is original and that is has neither been published previously nor is currently being considered for publication elsewhere.
The author agrees that SIe-L (Italian Society of e-Learning) has the right to publish the material sent for inclusion in the journal Je-LKS.
The author agree that articles may be published in digital format (on the Internet or on any digital support and media) and in printed format, including future re-editions, in any language and in any license including proprietary licenses, creative commons license or open access license. SIe-L may also use parts of the work to advertise and promote the publication.
The author declares s/he has all the necessary rights to authorize the editor and SIe-L to publish the work.
The author assures that the publication of the work in no way infringes the rights of third parties, nor violates any penal norms and absolves SIe-L from all damages and costs which may result from publication.
The author declares further s/he has received written permission without limits of time, territory, or language from the rights holders for the free use of all images and parts of works still covered by copyright, without any cost or expenses to SIe-L.
For all the information please check the Ethical Code of Je-LKS, available at http://www.je-lks.org/index.php/ethical-code
- Bardin, L. (1977). L’Analyse de Contenu, tr.port., análise de conteúdo [Content analysis] Lisbon: Ediçoes, 70, 2000.
- Baxter, P., & Jack, S. (2008). Qualitative Case Study Methodology: Study Design and Implementation for Novice Researchers. The Qualitative Report, 13(4), 544-559.
- Fedeli, L. (2019a). Visual Storytelling as Generative Strategy for Social Educators. In L. Darinskaia, & G. Molodtsova (Eds), Modern Technologies for Teaching and Learning in Socio-Humanitarian Disciplines (pp. 18-35). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Fedeli, L. (2019b). Promoting a purpose-fostering approach in educators’ training through a group-based digital narrative design. Ricerche di Pedagogia e Didattica. Journal of Theories and Research in Education, 14(3), 73-93.
- Fedeli, L. (2019c). Il virtuale: identità, relazioni, apprendimento. In P.C. Rivoltella, P.G. Rossi (Eds), Tecnologie per l’educazione (pp. 153-165). Milano, Pearson.
- Frau-Meigs, D., O'Neill, B., Soriani, A., Tomé, V. (2017). Digital Citizenship Education: Volume 1: Overview and New Perspectives. Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing.
- Hoskins, B., D’Hombres, B., & Campbell, J. (2008). Does Formal Education Have an Impact on Active Citizenship Behaviour? European Educational Research Journal, 7(3), 386-402.
- Kiili, C., Kauppinen, M., & Laurinen, L. (2012). University Students as Composers of a Digital Video. In T. Ley, M. Ruohonen, M. Laanpere, & A. Tatnall (Eds), IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology book series (pp. 131-140) (IFIPAICT, volume 395).
- Livingstone, S., & Palmer, T. (2012) Identifying vulnerable children online and what strategies can help them. London, UK: UK Safer Internet Centre.
- Lumsden, G., Lumsden, D., & Wiethoff, C. (2010). Communicating in Groups and Teams: Sharing Leadership. MA: Wadsworth Publishing
- Margiotta, U. (2017). The social value of educational professionals. Pedagogia Oggi, XV (2), 447-457.
- Milne, E.J., Mitchell, C., & de Lange, N. (Eds.) (2012). Handbook of Participatory Video. USA: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Montero, D., & Moreno-Domínguez, J.M. (2015). Rethinking the definition of participatory video at the interface of theory and practice. Glocal Times, 22/23, 1-15
- Netsafe (2018). From literacy to fluency to citizenship.Digital citizenship in Education (2nd ed.). Wellington, NZ: Netsafe.
- OECD (2016). Innovating education and educating for innovation: The power of digital technology and skills. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- Priebe, G., Mitchell, K. J., & Finkelhor, D. (2013). To tell or not to tell? Youth’s responses to unwanted Internet experiences. Cyberpsychology: Journal of Psychosocial Research on Cyberspace, 7(1), article 6. doi: 10.5817/CP2013-1-6
- Riva, (2010). I social network. Bologna: il Mulino.
- Robertson, C; Shaw, J. (1997). Participatory Video. A Practical Approach to Using Video Creatively in Group Development Work. London: Routledge.
- Stramaglia, M., Deluigi, R., & Fedeli, L. (2018). Contextualized Teaching & Learning as a Fundamental Educational Model. Form@re, 18, 81-93.
- Tiven, M. B., Fuchs, E. R., Bazari, A., & MacQuarrie, A. (2018). Evaluating Global Digital Education: Student Outcomes Framework. New York, NY: Bloomberg Philanthropies and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.
- Tramma, S. (2017). Become and be social educators in socio-educational services of contemporaneity. Pedagogia Oggi, XV (2), 107-120.
- White, S.A. (Ed) (2003). Participatory Video: Images that Transform and Empower. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications
- Yin, R. K. (2003). Case study research: Design and methods (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.