Main Article Content
As a result of the rapid development in educational technology, the design of instructional aids has been gaining a lot of significance. To date, researchers have studied the effect of using instructional aids on the learners’ academic performance, and a positive effect has often been proven. This study reviews and analyses existing literature and empirical evidence in relation to color use in designing instructional aids. Two major areas reviewed in the study are the Color Theory and the psychological and physiological impacts of color on learners. The results show that using colors in designing instructional aids plays an important role in enabling learners to concretize concepts and relations. Results also indicate that the effects of using color reflect on both the learners’ and the teachers’ emotional experiences. The results of the study may benefit educators, teachers, and pre-service teachers in designing the right and favourable learning environments for their teaching strategies.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The author declares that the submitted to Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society (Je-LKS) is original and that is has neither been published previously nor is currently being considered for publication elsewhere.
The author agrees that SIe-L (Italian Society of e-Learning) has the right to publish the material sent for inclusion in the journal Je-LKS.
The author agree that articles may be published in digital format (on the Internet or on any digital support and media) and in printed format, including future re-editions, in any language and in any license including proprietary licenses, creative commons license or open access license. SIe-L may also use parts of the work to advertise and promote the publication.
The author declares s/he has all the necessary rights to authorize the editor and SIe-L to publish the work.
The author assures that the publication of the work in no way infringes the rights of third parties, nor violates any penal norms and absolves SIe-L from all damages and costs which may result from publication.
The author declares further s/he has received written permission without limits of time, territory, or language from the rights holders for the free use of all images and parts of works still covered by copyright, without any cost or expenses to SIe-L.
For all the information please check the Ethical Code of Je-LKS, available at http://www.je-lks.org/index.php/ethical-code
- Adalikwu, S. A., & Iorkpilgh, I. T. (2017). The Influence of Instructional Materials on Academic Performance of Senior Secondary School Students in Chemistry in Cross River State, Global Journal of Educational Research, 16(1).
- Adams, S., & Burns, M. (1999). Connecting student learning and technology.
- Adebule, S.O, & Ayoola, O.O. (2016). Impact of Instructional Materials on Students’ Academic Performance in Mathematics in Secondary Schools in Ekiti State, Nigeria, Research Journal of Educational Studies and Review, 2 (1), 1-4.
- Alhagan, H. (2016) An analytical study of the colors of the teaching aids produced by kindergarten teachers and their relationship to the preference of colors for kindergarten children, Children Journal, Cairo University, 24.
- Altakhaineh, A., Mahmoud, H. & Abukhater, A. (2020), “The effectiveness of using colors in L1 and L2 vocabulary development of autistic children”, Advances in Autism.
- Apondi, J. (2015), Impact of Instructional Materials on Academic Acheivement in Mathmatics in Public Primary Schools in Siaya County, Kenya, MSC, the University of Nairobi.
- Apperson, J. M., Laws, E. L., & Scepansky, J. A. (2006). The impact of presentation graphics on students’ experience in the classroom. Computers and Education, 47(1), 116-126.
- Bakrawi, A.-J., & Husayn, M. (2019) The effect of teachers’ use of educational aids on the academic achievement of primary education pupils: a field study in some elementary school season: 2 - 2018, Master Thesis of Adrar University.
- Banaschewski, T., Tuppert, S., Tannock, R., Albrecht, B, Becker, A. Uebel, H., Sergeant, J.A., & Rothenberger, A. (2006). Colour perception in ADHD. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 47(6), 568-572.
- Baxter-Magolda, M. (2004). Evolution of a constructivist conceptualization of epistemological reflection. Educational Psychologist, 39(1), 31-42.
- Becker, H., & Riel, M. (2000). Teacher professional engagement and constructivist-compatible computer use. Center for Research on Information Technology and Organizations. Irvine: University of California, Irvine, and University of Minnesota.
- Billstein, R., Libeskind, S., & Lott, J. W. (2009). A problem solving approach to mathematics: For elementary school teachers. Boston, MA: Addison Wesley.
- Boyatzis, C.J., & Varghese, R. (1993). Children’s emotional associates with colors. The Journal of Genetic Psychology. 155(1), 77-85.
- Burns, B.A., & Hamm, E. H (2011). A comparison of concrete and virtual manipulative use in third and fourth grade mathematics. School Science and Mathematics, 111(6), 256-261.
- Carbonneau, K. J., Marley, S. C., & Selig, J. P. (2013). A meta-analysis of the efficacy of teaching mathematics with concrete manipulatives. Journal of Educational Psychology, 105(2), 380-400. DOI: 10.1037/a0031084.
- Clay, R.A. (2004). No more Mickey Mouse design: Child’s environments require unique considerations. ASID ICON, 43-47.
- Detenber, B. H., Simons, R. F., & Reiss, J. E. (2000) The Emotional Significance of Color in Television Presentations. MEDIAPSYCHOLOGY, 2(4), 331-355.
- Dienes, Z. P. (1973). Mathematics through the senses, games, dance, and art. Windsor, UK: The National Foundation for Educational Research Publishing Company Ltd.
- Engelbrecht, K. (2003). The impact of color on learning. Chicago, IL: Perkins & Will.
- Gaines, K. (2008). Brain compatible learning environments for students with autism spectrum disorders. Doctoral dissertation.etd-10092008-142401. Texas Tech University.
- Gaines, K. S., & Curry, Z. D. (2011). The inclusive classroom: The effects of color on learning and behavior. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences Education, 29(1), 46-57. Available at http://www.natefacs.org/JFCSE/v29no1/v29no1Gaines.pdf
- Grangaard, E. M. (1995, April). Color and Light Effects on Learning. Paper presented at the Association for Childhood Education International Study Conference and Exhibition.
- Gürbüz, R. (2010). The effect of activity-based instruction on conceptual development of seventh grade students in probability. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 41(6), 743-767.
- Imhof, M. (2004). Effects of color stimulation on handwriting performance of children with ADHD without and with additional learning disabilities. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 13, 191-198.
- Jung, E., Kim, D., Yoon, M., Park, S., & Oakleyd, B. (2019). The influence of instructional design on learner control, sense of achievement, and perceived effectiveness in a supersize MOOC course, Computers & Education, 128, 377-388.
- Kablan, Z., Topan, B., & Erkan, B. (2013). The effectiveness level of material use in classroom instruction: a meta-analysis study. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 13(3), 1629-1644.
- Karakırık, E., & Aydın, E. (2016). Matematik nesneleri ve sanal manupulatifler. [Learning objects and virtual manipulatives] Doğan, M ve Karakırık, E. (Ed.). Matematik Eğitiminde Teknoloji Kullanımı (2.Baskı) (pp. 27-46). Ankara. Nobel-Atlas Yayıncılık.
- Karp, E.M., & Karp, H.B. (2001). Color associations of male and female fourth-grade school children. The Journal of Psychology, 122(4), 383-388.
- Kwallek, N., Lewis, C. M., Lin-Hsiao, J. D. & Woodson, H. (1996). Effects of nine monochromatic office interior colors on clerical tasks and worker mood. Color Research and Application, 21(6) Wiley.
- Linder-VanBerschot, J. A., & Summers, L. L. (2015). Designing Instruction In The Face Of Technology Transience. The Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 16(2), 107-117.
- Manthra Prathoshni, S., Vishnu Priya, V., & Gayathri, R. (2018). Effect of teaching aids on student’s academic performance in professional courses, Drug Intervention Today, 10(12).
- McNeil, N. M., & Jarvin, L. (2007). When theories don’t add up: Disentangling the manipulatives debate. Theory into Practice, 46(4), 309-316.
- Messaris, P. (1997). Visual persuasion: The role of images in advertising. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Morton, J. (1995). Color Matters. Retrieved from http://www.colormatters.com
- Morton, J. (1998). Color voodoo for the office. Retrieved from https://colorcom.com/
- Moyer-Packenham, P. S., & Suh, J. M. (2012). Learning mathematics with technology: The influence of virtual manipulatives on different achievement groups. Journal of Computers in Mathematics & Science Teaching, 112(3), 133-146.
- Moyer, P.S. (2001). Are we having fun yet? How teachers use manipulatives to teach mathematics. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 47, 175-197
- Nasrullah, Y. M. (2018) The Impact of using educational aids in teaching Arabic at the Indonesia University of Education on West Java Island,Jurnal Al Bayan, 9(1).
- Nielson, K. J. & Taylor, D. A. (2007). Interiors: an introduction. 4th Edition. McGraw-Hill. New York.
- O’Connor, P. D., Sofo, F., Kendall, L., & Olsen, G. (1990). Reading disabilities and the effects of colored filters. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 23(10), 597-603.
- Olkun, S. (2003). Comparing computer versus concrete manipulatives in learning 2D geometry. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 22(1), 43-56.
- Plass, J. L., Heidig, S., Hayward, E. O., Homer B. D., & Umd, E. (2013) Emotional design in multimedia learning: Effects of shape and color on affect and learning.
- Reimer, K., & Moyer, P. S. (2005). Third-graders learn about fractions using virtual manipulatives: A classroom study. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 24(1), 5-25.
- Shabha, G. (2006). An assessment of the impact of the sensory environment on individuals’ behavior in special needs schools. Facilities, 24(1/2), 31-42.
- Sherman, J., & Bisanz, J. (2009). Equivalence in symbolic and nonsymbolic contexts: Benefits of solving problems with manipulatives. Journal of Educational Psychology, 101(1), 88-100.
- Styne, A. (1990). The Physiological effects of color of color and light. Illuminating Engineering Conference, Honolulu, HI.
- Terwogt, M. M., & Hoeksma, J. B. (2001). Colors and emotions: preferences and combinations. The Journal of General Psychology, 122(1), 5-17.
- Thompson, P. W. (1992). Notations, conventions, and constraints: Contributions to effective uses of concrete materials in elementary mathematics. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 23, 123-147.
- Torrice, A F., & Logrippo, R. (1989). In my Room: Designing for and with Children. New York: Ballantine Books.
- Triano, J. J., McGregor, M., Dinulos, M., & Tran S. (2014). Staging the use of teaching aids in the development of manipulationskill, Manual Therapy 19, 184-189.
- Ünlü, M. (2017). Pre-service mathematics teachers’ views about using instructional materials in mathematics lessons. Journal of Theory and Practice in Education, 13(1), 10-34.
- Verghese, P. (2001). Visual search and attention: a signal detection theory approach. Neuron, 31, 523-535.
- Walker, M. (1991). The Power of Color. New York: Avery Publishing Group.
- Wilkins, A. (2003). Reading through Colour. Chichester: Wiley.
- Wohlfarth, H., & Sam, C. (1982). The effects of Color Psychodynamic Environment Modification Upon Psycho-physiological and Behavioral Reactions of Several Handicapped Children. lnt J. Biosocial Res., 3(1), 30-38.
- Zentall, S. S. & Dwyer, A. M. (1989). Color effects on the impulsivity and activity of hyperactive children. Journal of School Psychology, 27(2), 165-17.