Main Article Content
This study reviewed the effects of the Student Team Achievement Divisions (STAD) cooperative learning strategies model compared to the traditional method of communication skills in economic subjects among secondary school students in Aceh. The study aims to identify the relationship between attitude change and communication skills that are influenced by family income. Besides, this research also investigates the relationship between communication skills with student achievement in the economic subject. The quasi-experimental designs with a pre-test and post-test used to collect data in this study. After fourteen weeks of treatment for the experimental group, both groups performed the Post-Test. The findings of the T-test showed a significant difference in student communication skills in economic subjects between the experimental group and the control group. The method of data analysis used analysis of variance (ANOVA) showed performance was higher on the post-test experimental group compared to the control group. This finding indicates that the use of the STAD cooperative learning strategies model during the review period can increase student achievement in the economic subject. The implications of this study show that the STAD Cooperative Learning model can be a model for teaching and learning in economics to improve communication skills among students in Aceh.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The author declares that the submitted to Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society (Je-LKS) is original and that is has neither been published previously nor is currently being considered for publication elsewhere.
The author agrees that SIe-L (Italian Society of e-Learning) has the right to publish the material sent for inclusion in the journal Je-LKS.
The author agree that articles may be published in digital format (on the Internet or on any digital support and media) and in printed format, including future re-editions, in any language and in any license including proprietary licenses, creative commons license or open access license. SIe-L may also use parts of the work to advertise and promote the publication.
The author declares s/he has all the necessary rights to authorize the editor and SIe-L to publish the work.
The author assures that the publication of the work in no way infringes the rights of third parties, nor violates any penal norms and absolves SIe-L from all damages and costs which may result from publication.
The author declares further s/he has received written permission without limits of time, territory, or language from the rights holders for the free use of all images and parts of works still covered by copyright, without any cost or expenses to SIe-L.
For all the information please check the Ethical Code of Je-LKS, available at http://www.je-lks.org/index.php/ethical-code
- Abdul, H., Lilia, H., Subahan M. & Kamisah, O. (2010). Development of Science Problem Solving Instruments Jurnal Pendidikan Malaysia, 35 (1): 35-39. http://journalarticle.ukm.my/140/
- Abrami, P. C., Poulsen, C. and Chambers, B. (2004). Teacher motivation to implement an educational innovation: Factors differentiating users and non-users of cooperative learning. Educational Psychology, 24 (2). 201-216.
- Abrantes, J. L., Seabra, C., & Lages, L. F. (2007). Pedagogical affect, student interest, and learning performance. Journal of Business Research, 60(9),: 960.964.https://doi.org/10.1080/0144341032000160146
- Abu, B. N. (1995). Fundamentals of educational evaluation. Petaling Jaya: Longman Malaysia Sdn Bhd.
- Adeyemo, S. A. (2012). The relationship between effective classroom management and students’ academic achievement. European Journal of Educational Studies, 4(3), 367-381.
- Adiwarman, A. K. (2007). Islamic Microeconomics. Jakarta : PT Rajagrafindo Persada.
- Ajzen, I. (2005). Attitudes, personality, and behavior. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
- Aladejana, F. & Aderibigbe, O. (2007) Science laboratory environment and academic performance. Journal Science Educational Technology 16 (6), 500-506. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-007-9072-4
- Albarracin, D., Johnson, B.T., & Zanna, M.P. (2014). The Handbook of Attitudes. Routledge.
- Alhaidari, M. (2006). The Effectiveness of Using Cooperative Learning to Promote Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, and Fluency Achievement Scores of Male Fourth-and Fifth-grade Student in a Saudi Arabian School. Tesis P.hD. The Pensylvania State University. https://www.proquest.com/openview/d548c2d74c7a98282cf9f698f6572f33/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=18750&diss=y
- Ali Reza Jalilifar. (2010). The Effect of Cooperative Learning Techniques on College Students’ Reading Comprehension. System,38(1), 96-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2009.12.009
- Ali, E. (2004). The Effects Traditional A Learning Cycle Inquiry Learning Strategy on Student Science Achievement and Attitudes Toward Elementary Science. Thesis P.hD Ohio University.
- Allport, G.W., Blanshard, B., Morgan, A. Sullivan, R. Taylor, H., & Klein, J. (2005). The Goals of Higher Education. California: Experienced Books.
- Amiruddin, M. H., Ismail, I. M., Razali, N., Ismail, M. E., Doman, N., Samad, N. A., & Rahim, A. A. (2020). The Motivation Level towards the Application of Google Apps among Part-time Students: A Case Study. Journal Of Technical Education and Training, 12 (1)ì, 254–260. https://publisher.uthm.edu.my/ojs/index.php/JTET/article/view/3179
- Aronson, E., & Patnoe, S. (2011). Cooperation in the classroom: The jigsaw method. London, England: Pinter & Martin Ltd.
- Azizi, Y., Ahmad, J. S.,& Shazalina, G. (2007). Cooperative Learning Practices Among Technical and Vocational Subject Teachers in Three Technical Schools in Selangor. Jurnal Teknologi Pendidikan. Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
- Azizi, Y., Asmah, S., Zurihanmi, Z.,& Fawziah, Y. (2005). Cognitive Applications in Education Kuala Lumpur: PTS Profesional Publising Sdn. Bhd.
- Azizi, Y., Shahrin, H, Jamaluddin, R., Yusof, B.,& Abdul, R. H. (2006). Mastering Research in Education. Kuala Lumpur: PTS Profesional Publising.
- Azwani, I. (2012). The Effect of STAD Model On Students’ Patriotism Values, Attitudes and Communication Skills in History Subjects Tesis P.hD. Bangi: Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia.
- Baltes, MM. (1996). The Many Faces of Depen- dency in Old Age. New York: Cambridge Univ. Press.
- Bandura, A. (1993). Perceived Self-Efficacy in Cognitive Development and Functioning, Educational Psychologist, 28(2), 117-148, DOI: 10.1207/s15326985ep2802_3
- Bandura, A. (1997). Social Learning Teory. New York: General Learning Press.
- Bandura, A. (2005). Aggression: A Sosial Learning Analysis (The Prentice-Hall Series in Social Learning Theory). Georgia: Hippo Books.
- Basyah, N. A., Muslem, A., & Usman, B. (2018). The effectiveness of using the jigsaw model to improve students’ economics teaching-learning achievement. New Educational Review. Stanisław Juszczyk, 51(1), 30-40. DOI: 10.15804/tner.2017.50.4.02
- Becker, W.E., & Watts, M. (2010). Teaching Methods in U.S. Undergraduate Economics Courses, The Journal of Economic Education, 32(3), 269-279. DOI: 10.1080/00220480109596108
- Behrangi MR. (2012). New patterns of teaching. Tehran, Kamale tarbiyatpress.
- Berscheid, E. (1994). Interpersonal relationships. Annual Review of Psychology, 45(1), 79-129. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.45.020194.000455
- Bertucci, A., Conte, S., Johnson, D.W., & Johnson, R.T. (2010). The Impact of Size of Cooperative Group on Achievement, Social Support, and Self-Esteem, The Journal of General Psychology, 137(3), 256-272. DOI: 10.1080/00221309.2010.484448
- Bowen CW. (2000). A quantitative literature review of cooperative learning effects on high school and college chemistry achievement. J. Chem. Educ., 77(1), 116-119. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed077p116
- Brewer, S., & Klein, J. D. (2006). Type of positive interdependence and affiliation motive in an asynchronous, collaborative learning environment. Educational Technology Research and Development, 54(4), 331–354. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11423-006-9603-3
- Briggs, S.A. (1994). Counseling student through their individual learning. Massachusetts: Allyn and Bacon.
- Briner, M. (1999).What is Constructivism? University of Colorado at Denver School.
- Brooks, T. J., & Khandker, A. W. (2002). A collaborative learning lab: Does the form matter?. Contemporary Economic Policy, 20(3), 330-338. https://doi.org/10.1093/cep/20.3.330
- Bryman A. (2004). Social Research Method 2nd edition. UK : Oxford University Press.
- Bryman, A., & Cramer, D. (2005). Quantitative data analysis with SPSS 12 and 13: a guide for social scientists. Psychology Press. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203498187
- Cambell, D.T., Stanley, J.C. (1963). Experimental and Quasi-experimental designs for research. Chicago: Rand Mc nally.
- Cardoso, A. P., Ferreira, M., Abrantes, J.L., Seabra, & C., Costa, C. (2011). Personal and pedagogical interaction factors as determinants of academic achievement. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 29, 1596-1605. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.11.402
- Case, Karl E. & Ray C Fair, (2007). Principles of Economics, Eight Edition, Pearson Education, Inc, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.
- Chamot, A. U., P Beard El-Dinary dan J Rubins (1999). The Learning Strategies Handbook. While Plains, New York: Addison Wesley.
- Chang, M. J., & De Angelo, L. (2002). Going Greek: The effects of racial composition on white students’ participation patterns. Journal of College Student Development 43(6), 809-23. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ657083
- Charles, C.M. & Mertler, Crag A. (2002). Introduction to Educational Research (4th Ed). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Charles, C.M., Mertler, C.M. (2002). Introduction to Educational Research. Boston A Pearson Educational Company.
- Cheung, L. & Kan, A. (2002). Evaluation of factors related to student performance in a distance-learning business communication course. Journal of Education for Business, 77(5), 257-263. https://doi.org/10.1080/08832320209599674
- Chu, S. Y. (2014). Application of the Jigsaw Cooperative Learning Method in Economics Course. International Journal of Managerial Studies and Research, 2(10), 166-172.
- Chua, Y. P. (2006). Research Methods and Statistics Book 1: Research Methods Kuala Lumpur: McGraw Hill (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd.
- Coakes (2010). SPSS Version 17 for Windows, Analisis Without Anguish. Queensland: John Wiley and Sons Australia Ltd.
- Cohen, E.G (1994). Designing groupwork: Strategies for heterogeneous Classrooms. Revised edition New York: Teachers Colleges Press.
- Cohen, L., Manion, L., Morrison, K. (2003). Research methods in education. Routhledgefalmer: London and New York.
- Conrad, C., & Poole, M.S. (2002). Strategic organizational communication in a global economy (5th ed). New York: Harcourt.
- Cornelius-White, J. (2007). Learner-centered teacher-student relationships are effective: A meta-analysis. Review of Educational Research,77(1), 113-143. https://doi.org/10.3102/003465430298563
- Crano, W. D., & Prislin, R. (2006). Attitudes and persuasion. Annu. Rev. Psychol., 57, 345-374. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.57.102904.190034
- Crano, W.D., & Prislin, R. (2006). Attitudes and Persuasion. Annual Review of Psychology, 57, 345-374. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.57.102904.190034
- Faranda, W. T., & Clarke I. I. (2004). Student observations of outstanding teaching: Implications for marketing educators. Journal of Marketing Education, 26(3),271-281. https://doi.org/10.1177/0273475304268782
- Hay, A., Hodgkinson, M., Peltier, J., & Drago, W. (2004). Interaction and virtual learning. Strategic Change, 13(4), 193-204. https://www.proquest.com/openview/af2e4a59fecc869a4872372b6acd9e74/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=31335
- Ismail, M.E., Irwan Mahazir, I., Othman, H., Amiruddin, M.H., & Ariffin, A. (2017). The Use Of Animation Video In Teaching To Enhance The Imagination And Visualization Of Student In Engineering Drawing. Science and Technology International Conference. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 203, 1-8.
- Paswan, K., & Young, J. A. (2002). Student evaluation of instructor: A nomological investigation using structural equation modeling. Journal of Marketing Education, 24(3), 193-202. https://doi.org/10.1177/0273475302238042
- Peltier, J. W., Hay, A., & Drago, W. (2005). The reflective learning continuum: Reflecting on reflection. Journal of Marketing Education, 27(3), 250-263. https://doi.org/10.1177/0273475305279657
- Phipps, B.J., & Clark, J.E. (1993) Attitudes Toward Economics: Uni- or Multidimensional?, The Journal of Economic Education, 24(3), 195-212. DOI: 10.1080/00220485.1993.10844792
- Rai, N.,& Samsuddin, S.(2007). STAD vs Traditional teaching, Redesigning Pedagogy crpp conference 2007.
- Rattanatumma, T., & Puncreobutr, V. (2013). Using Jigsaw Technique as an Effective Way of Promoting Co-Operative Learning Among Primary Six Pupils in Fijai. International Journal of Education and Practice. DOI 10.18488/journal.61/2013.1.6/188.8.131.52
- Sumarwati, S., Fitriyani, H., Setiaji, F. M. A., Amiruddin, M. H., &Jalil, S.A. (2020). Developing Mathematics Learning Media Based on Elearning Using Moodle on Geometry Subject to Improve Students’ Higher Order Thinking Skills. Interactive Mobile Technologies (iJIM), 14(4), 182-191.
- Suraya Morsidi, Norazrena Abu Samah, Khairul Anuar Abdul Rahman, Zakiah Mohamad Ashari, Nurul Farhana Jumaat, Abdul Halim Abdullah (2021). WhatsApp and Its Potential to Develop Communication Skills among University Students https://doi.org/10.3991/ijim.v15i23.27243
- Thorpe, R. (2001). Rod Thorpe on teaching games for understanding. In L. Kidman (Ed) Developing decision makers. An empowerment approach to coaching. Auckland, New Zealand: Innovative Print Communication Ltd.
- Wyk, M. (2009). Do Student Teams Achievement Divisions Enhance Economic Literacy? A Quasi Experimental Design. Available http://www.krepublishers.com/02-Journals
- Young, M. R. (2005). The motivational effects of the classroom environment in facilitating self-regulated learning. Journal of Marketing Education, 27(1):25-40. https://doi.org/10.1177/0273475304273346