Main Article Content
In 1995, social scientist Robert Putnam proposed a broad and wide-ranging critique of American civic life. (Putnam, 1995) Further developed in his influential book Bowling Alone (Putnam, 2000), Putnam argued that America was experiencing a sustained decline in civic life, one that might spread to advanced democracies around the world. His argument was multifaceted: not only were Americans voting less, they were also participating less in voluntary organizations, in churches and religious organizations, in labor unions and work organizations...
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The author declares that the submitted to Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society (Je-LKS) is original and that is has neither been published previously nor is currently being considered for publication elsewhere.
The author agrees that SIe-L (Italian Society of e-Learning) has the right to publish the material sent for inclusion in the journal Je-LKS.
The author agree that articles may be published in digital format (on the Internet or on any digital support and media) and in printed format, including future re-editions, in any language and in any license including proprietary licenses, creative commons license or open access license. SIe-L may also use parts of the work to advertise and promote the publication.
The author declares s/he has all the necessary rights to authorize the editor and SIe-L to publish the work.
The author assures that the publication of the work in no way infringes the rights of third parties, nor violates any penal norms and absolves SIe-L from all damages and costs which may result from publication.
The author declares further s/he has received written permission without limits of time, territory, or language from the rights holders for the free use of all images and parts of works still covered by copyright, without any cost or expenses to SIe-L.
For all the information please check the Ethical Code of Je-LKS, available at http://www.je-lks.org/index.php/ethical-code
- American Presidency Project, 2016. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statistics/data/voter-turnout-in-presidential-elections
- Appel, M., Marker, C., & Gnambs, T. (2020). Are social media ruining our lives? A review of meta-analytic evidence. Review of General Psychology, 24 (1), 60-74.
- Balch, G. I. (1974). Multiple indicators in survey research: The concept” sense of political efficacy”. Political Methodology, 1-43.
- Benkler, Y., Robert, F., & Hal, R. (2018). Network propaganda: Manipulation, disinformation, and radicalization in American politics. Oxford University Press.
- Botsman, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/11/dawn-of-the-techlash
- Campbell, A., Gurin, G., & Warren E. M. (1954). The voter decides.
- De Tocqueville, A. (1899). Democracy in America: Volume II. Vol. 2. D. Appleton.
- Fiesler, C., Shannon M., & Bruckman, A.S. (2016). An archive of their own: A case study of feminist HCI and values in design. Proceedings of the 2016 CHI conference on human factors in computing systems.
- Granovetter, M.S. (1973). The strength of weak ties. American journal of sociology, 78(6) 1360-1380.
- Gray, M. L. & Suri, S. (2019). Ghost work: How to stop Silicon Valley from building a new global underclass. Eamon Dolan Books.
- Hudson, 2020. https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/bowling-alone-at-twenty
- Ingram, 2020. https://www.cjr.org/the_media_today/facebooks-new-oversight-board-supreme-court-or-fig-leaf.php
- Internet World Stats, 2022. Internet growth statistics. https://www.internetworldstats.com/emarketing.htm
- Monterie, 2021. PubHubs moet privacyvriendelijk sociaal netwerk worden. https://www.computable.nl/artikel/nieuws/security/7280662/250449/pubhubs-moet-privacyvriendelijk-sociaal-netwerk-worden.html
- Neves, B.B. (2013). Social capital and Internet use: The irrelevant, the bad, and the good. Sociology Compass, 7(8), 599-611.
- Olson, 2021. https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-10-25/facebook-s-oversight-board-is-the-only-lever-to-reform-the-social-media-behemoth
- Orben, A., and Przybylski, A.K. (2019). The association between adolescent well-being and digital technology use. Nature human behaviour, 3(2), 173-182.
- Peck (2019). https://www.wired.com/story/the-punishing-ecstasy-of-being-a-reddit-moderator/
- Pew (2021). https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/fact-sheet/social-media/
- Putnam, R. D. (1995). Tuning in, tuning out: The strange disappearance of social capital in America. PS: Political science & politics, 28(4), 664-683.
- Putnam, R. D. (2000). Bowling alone: The collapse and revival of American community. Simon and Schuster
- Stroud & Pariser (2021). https://newpublic.org/signals
- Williams, J. R. (2019). The use of online social networking sites to nurture and cultivate bonding social capital: A systematic review of the literature from 1997 to 2018. New Media & Society, 21.11-12 2710-2729.
- York, J. C. (2022). Silicon values: The future of free speech under surveillance capitalism. Verso Books.
- Zhang, A. X., Grant H., & Bernstein, M.S. (2020). PolicyKit: building governance in online communities. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology.
- Zuboff, S. (2019). The age of surveillance capitalism: The fight for a human future at the new frontier of power: Barack Obama’s books of 2019. Profile books.